Invitation to be a Visiting Fellow / Researcher
The Faculty of Law, University of Malaya welcomes scholars and researchers from all around the world to visit the Faculty under the Visiting Fellows/Researchers Scheme. The Scheme provides visitors with access to facilities of the Faculty of Law (office, library privileges, attendance of and participation in any scholarly presentations at the Law School) in order for them to conduct research on an approved topic while in residence and to consult/collaborate with faculty members.
Applicants will usually hold a full-time academic post at another university. Applicants must be sponsored by a Faculty member willing to act as a consultant or to collaborate with the visitor on his/her research project. It is the responsibility of a prospective visitor to contact appropriate faculty members and arrange for such sponsorship.
Visiting doctoral candidates should be part of a PhD program in their home institution. Applicants must be sponsored by a Faculty member willing to act as a consultant or to collaborate with the visitor on his/her research project. It is the responsibility of a prospective visitor to contact appropriate faculty members and arrange for such sponsorship.
Visiting Fellows/Researchers may start at any time during the year, subject to agreement between each individual fellow and the Faculty of Law. The period of visit should be between two (2) weeks and three (3) months. Please note that we prefer our Visitors to visit us during term time.
Applications are commonly considered from those who already have (or expect to have) adequate financial support. The Faculty of Law does not usually provide Visiting Fellows/Researchers with a research allowance.
In some exceptional circumstances, however, the Faculty may be able to offer partial funding. This will be offered on a case-by-case basis.
The Faculty may be able to assist in making arrangements for living accommodation for visitors upon request. However, this will be limited to sourcing and booking of accommodation only. The applicant shall still bear the cost of the accommodation.
At the end of the Fellowship, Visiting Fellows/Researchers are asked to present their research to the Faculty of Law in a seminar and submit a brief written report summarizing their contribution to the Faculty.
- Application form: [click here to download]
- Applicant’s latest curriculum vitae (CV).
- A list of the applicant’s academic publications.
- For Visiting Fellows, a letter signed by the Visitor’s Head of Department/Dean of the institution confirming that the applicant is a full-time member of the academic staff of that institution and that the proposed visit has his/her support.
- For Visiting Researchers, a letter signed by the Visitor’s Head of Department/Dean of the institution confirming that the applicant is a doctoral candidate registered at that institution and that the proposed visit has the applicant’s doctoral supervisor’s support.
- Two references to be sent via email by the applicant’s referees within one week from the date of submission of your application. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the references reach us in good time. The referees should address the following:
- the capacity in which they know the applicant (for Visiting Researchers, one of the referee should be the applicant’s doctoral supervisor)
- the applicant’s suitability to undertake a fellowship at the Faculty of Law, University of Malaya, in the light of the applicant’s particular interests and experience
- the likely benefits to the applicant, and to the applicant’s future career, of undertaking such a fellowship.
- the likely benefits to the Faculty of Law, University of Malaya
The applicants will receive a response on the application within two (2) months after submitting the application.
Kindly direct any questions to Ms Nurin Hanani at